Other Sailing Resources
I thought of all my other boats and all the other summers of
sailing, dating way back to when I used to go out with my father
in a cranky overcanvased catboat we had when I was a little girl
in the early part of the century. My father, a reckless
enthusiast when it came to a sailboat, found me a most
satisfactory companion because I had not sense enough to be
--Kitty Crockett Robertson
These are sites, that weren't easily catagorized, but hopefully will be
of interest as well.
or Sailing FAQ
- Two locations of the rec.boats FAQ maintained by firstname.lastname@example.org
(John Forbes Hughes). Here is some info
on his boat Sarah.
- A directory of boat images from Steve Blair at tivoli.com
Beken of Cowes
- This is the home page of one of the pioneers of photography & the
Masters of Marine Photography.
- Featuring the Calendar of Wooden Boats, and Photography by Benjamin
PPL Photo Gallery
- Samples of of photographs held by PPL by subject.
- Sailing images from Andrew Sims, Marine Photographer.
- Yachting and clasic vessels pictures.
Onne van der Wal Photography
A directory of a few boat images
- They do have a picture of Yellow Pages Endeavour last I looked
US Coast Guard images
Dinghy Sailing Site
- From Quentin O'Sullivan. Mostly photos of dinghy sailing.
Popeye the Sailor
- I have to admit, I much prefer the original Segar Popeye to the later versions.
International Maritime Organization
- The International Maritime Organization (IMO) is the United Nations'
specialized agency responsible for improving maritime safety and
preventing pollution from ships.
The Nautical Institute
- An international professional body for qualified mariners. Also, check
out their Marine Accident
U.S. Coast Guard Online Resources
Links to Coast Guard Related Web Sites
Canadian Coast Guard
- Information on the Canadian Coast Guard and boating in Canada.
Royal National Lifeboat Institution
- Also see Red Bay RNLI Lifeboat Station
- Marinehjemmeværnet - Flotille 124
- The Maritime Homeguard (English version)(MHV) is an organisation of voluntary men and
women, who use some of their sparetime to assist The Royal Danish Navy.
- Organizers of various cruising rallies including, ARC (Atlantic Rally for
Cruisers) and the Millennium Odyssey.
National Shipbuilding Network
- The National Shipbuilding Network is designed to support the U.S.
shipbuilding infrastructure by serving as the electronic communication and
information resource network for the shipbuilding community.
- A place for boat builders and designers, amateur
or professional, to communicate with each other and share
their passion for the craft.
Living Classrooms Foundation
- Baltimore, Maryland based organization that provides hands-on learning
programs and job training for young people, with an emphasis on disadvantaged
and at-risk youth. They currently use four vessels in their work.
- Newport, RI. world renown organization
for its sailing program for disabled sailors. Operating for 11 years and
serving 800 disabled sailors annually. Recreation, Instructional, Racing.
Sailing Alternatives, Inc.
- Providing the instruction, environment and support for disabled and
able-bodied individuals to experience the thrills of sailing,
Disabled Sailing Association of Ontario
- Toronto Ontario, Canada. Also have an internet Clubhouse.
Bayfront Center for Maritime Studies (BCMS)
- Their mission is to develop and implement unique, affordable, experiential,
maritime educational and recreational opportunities. Erie, Pennsylvania.
The Marine Art Information Center
- A focal point for information on British and American Marine Art.
A Picture Gallery of marine watercolours and paintings supplemented by
Information on Auctions, Galleries, Reference Materials and Museums.
- Fine Art of Tom Clifford.
Celestial Navigation, SF Bay Area
- Sailing information, and celestial navigation instruction from
Celestial Navigation Net
- Brings together all of the best Celestial Navigation resources on the
internet, with pointers to other resources as well.
- a series of pages attempting to explain Celestial
Nav to the absolute beginner written by Al Placette.
- Windjammer is a small to medium sized, family owned, sailing oriented
business, located in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.
WB-Sails Theory Page
- A collection of sailing[theory] related articles, provided by WB-Sails
Yacht Survey Online
- An extensive collection of articles on buying, owning and maintaining
boats from David Pascoe, Marine Surveyor.
- Includes a searchable database of photo listings of boats for sale
and charter, the Boating Yellow Pages and other useful information.
Pro Yacht Sales
- Boats for Sale - Southeastern USA
- A large list of sailing related items. Especially good coverage of tall
ship related items.
Great Britain II
- History of the veteran Whitbread racer "Great Britain II".
Island Cruiser News Online
- This site is dedicated to providing sailing and boating enthusiasts
with industry news, cruising destinations, boating gear, and Internet links.
- A site for cruisers to keep in touch.
- A site that lists Cruiser homepages, Yacht positions, free Crewfinder,
Radio nets, a Message board and good Marine links.
- An international network of sailors and crew interested in vacation
Wayne Beardsley's Home Page
- Includes a PHRF data base for Long
Island Sound, links to other PHRF databases,
a ratings estimator, PHRF Speed Calculator and
Carl's Sailing Calculator
- Boat comparision calculator.
The Perfect Pocket Yacht
- Site with a view toward boats that will get you out on the water now.
A directory of tallship images from ftp.uci.agh.edu.pl
Armada de la Liberté
- Info and Images from Tallship visit to Rouen(Normandy, France), 10-17 July 1994.
Isle Of Man Traditional Boat Weekend At Peel
- Saturday 15th June ~ Sunday 16th June 1996
- Boating related items, including boats for sale, charters, listing of boat
shows, and pointers to other internet boating resources. Surprisingly,
they named my Sailing Page as site of the month for January 1995. Zowee.
Quiet Waters Sailboat Sales
- A site with specifications of most modern small sailboats from
7-22'. They also buy, sell, and repair new & used sailboats 10'-22', as
well as provide a used boat service to netsurfers.
Web & Sea
- Points to sailing resources including boat-yards, charters, french
boating magazines and other sources of information.
BoatShow on the Internet
- Where the Information Highway meets the sea. Sailboats -- monohulls,
catamarans, trimarans -- yacht charter companies, power boats, Digital
Chandlery, sailing schools, and more for the recreational sailor.
United States Boat Show / On-Line
- Information from the people who produce the Annapolis Boat Show including
information from some of their exhibitors online.
WaterSport resources from Yourtown
- Includes information as well as links to other sites.
U.S. Maritime Administration
- Federal agency to promote U.S. Merchant marine. Interesting
glossary of shipping
terms. Find out what cabotage means.
The Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors
The Sailing Site
- The Sailing Site is an Internet source for sailing news and information.
It is the outgrowth of the successful America's Cup On Line project
and provides continued information on America's Cup developments, as well as
general sailing news and information.
- Aim is to raise interest in the construction and
development of boats with a particular character.
America's Cup On-line
- All sorts of info on the 95 America's cup. Here is their
description of its contents.
A version in Korean is
available. And a little press
release on how the graphics were done on the tv broadcasts.
- Info on the America3 competitors for the '95 America's cup.
- Includes information on bvuying or renting a sailing yacht or a motorboat,
information on sailing areas, nice places to visit by boat or on the Web,
class information, weather ...
- Sailing information, companies, etc. Mostly in Finland
The Downtown Sailing Center of
- A non-profit community based sailing organization based in Baltimore, Maryland.
Their mission is to promote sailing by: Offering the community
affordable access to quality sailing programs and events;
Providing education in sailing and water safety skills at all levels
for all ages; and Sponsoring both recreational and racing opportunities.
Maritime Resources at Access Internet Resources
- Includes a Virtual Renaissance Adventure.
Sailing Online Services
ALIA Sailing Pages
- A UK and Ireland focussed site, which includes some pictures from
some of training cruises on the South coast of Ireland.
- Some pointers to sailboat racing, and some racing images.
- Information on a number of subjects including, Mariners Net magazine, and
a catalog of sailing accessories for women sailors.
The Liveaboard and Cruising Page
- These pages look at some of the problems dealing with living aboard a sail boat at anchor.
- Stresses the cruising-lifestyle, Nav-data, software, and offshore side of
Bluewater Cruising Page
- Information for those interested in Bluewater Cruising. Many articles
Chip's Pocket Cruiser Sailboat Page
- A guide to those who are seeking a pocket cruising sailboat.
The Trailer Sailor
- A place where Trailer Sailors sailors can
get together and discuss problems, solutions, good times or bad.
A Marine Do-It-Yourselfer Website
- Created for people who seek sailing and boating information, and who
like to perform their own boat maintenance. Also features a Hot
Boating Tip Of The Month, introductory lessons on Learning How To Sail
MC-link Nautical Home Page
- The English entry into La Pagina Nautica
- Bill's Lighthouse Getaway with over 40 lights plus, other info for the
Linda's Lighthouse Page
- Including postcards!
15th World Sailors' Songs Festival Krakow
- 4 Day Chanty (Shanty) Festival in Krakow, Poland.
River Scheldt Pilots Choir
- A collection of the words to sea chanties.
Shanties and Sea Songs
- From Andrew Draskoy.
- Nautical living history non-profit, volunteer group formed in 1981 to
support the frigate, now sloop-of-war, Constellation
Cannon drill, shanty singing, shipboard trades, naval landing detachment
Specializing in the skills and living conditions of the American seaman of
The Digital Tradition Folk Song Database
- A huge collection collection of folk songs. Search for say "black ball" for
songs that mention the black ball line.
U.S. Library of Congress. American Memories
- Fabulous old movies and photographs. Pick a collection and search on ship.
Radio Control Sailors of Finland
- Wooden model sailboats that feature a non-electronic control
method which allows you to use sailing techniques on a small scale.
- Ship modeling and research information
- Info on O'Neill European Championships Land Yachting in Oct. 1995, and
other land yachting info.
Swedish pilot cutter S/Y Ejdern
- The Pilot Boat Association, bought this beautiful vessel in 1991 in bad shape, and
restored to almost original condition during 1991-94.
Fitness for sailing
- Information on Sailing and Fitness.
Marine Electrical Systems Seminar
- Cameron Clarke's self-directed marine electronics seminar to help users
understand and maintain their boats electrical system, batteries, and
Marine Graphics, Inc.
- On-Line Custom Graphics Services.
Cooper Boating Center
- Yacht Charter and Sailing School, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
International Marine Signal Flags,
and some national flags
- For instance you now know the interpretation of the flag sequence:
My vessel is a dangerous source of radiation; you may approach from
WWW Text to Semaphore Converter
- And other useful maritime signaling applications.
- This account is intended to provide an easily accessible data
base of tidal heights and winds along the U.S. east coast.
See README file.
Daily Tide & Current Predictions
- From Nautical Software, Inc.
- These are a sample of GPS information available on the net.
NMEA 0183 Interface
- This is a small sample of NMEA 0183 information available on the net.
I haven't been following this very carefully, so there are probably better
Inland Navigation Rules
- United States Code, Title 33 -
Navigation and Navigable Waters, Chapter 34 - Inland Navigational Rules.
- A description of the laws and regulations that concern
Sailing Info from John Ward
- Includes information on self-steering, sea shanties, and navigation.
The record of the first sail passage of the Columbia
River from headwaters to the ocean.
- From Bill Barton at Clear Course Software.
Sailing information from Angelo Mascaro
- General sailing information, both in
English and in
Includes information on the Baleares Islands with much info on
Also, information about sailing in the Med.
U.S. Naval Observatory
- This resource gives you information about and access to the standard time
services of the U.S. Naval Observatory. It also provides general information
about the Observatory
The Royal Institute Of Navigation
- The Royal Institute Of Navigation (RIN) is a learned society with
charitable status; it was formed in 1947. Its objects are to unite in one
body those who are concerned with or who are interested in
navigation and to further its development.
Marco Polo relica project
- The Marco Polo Project is a volunteer organization with the expressed
aim of building a full-sized replica of the Marco Polo in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada.
Osram VII sailing cruise
- A Pacific sailing cruise planned for 1999-2000 aboard the 43'
catamaran Osram VII .
Boating page at recreation.com
- Boating page at recreation.com
Matching crew and boats
- Some sites that try and match up crew with boats. Both racing and
- Sail America is a nonprofit organization composed of all sectors of
the sailing industry, including boat builders, equipment manufacturers,
sailing schools, sailing publications, and sail charters. Probably best
known for putting on Sail Expo in
Marine Export Group of New Zealand
- MAREX, The Marine Export Group of New Zealand, is an industry trade
group representing boatbuilders, yacht designers, hardware,
equipment and marine apparel manufacturers in New Zealand.
American Sailing Association
- The American Sailing Association is an association of Sailing schools,
sailing instructors and sailors, and their associates are listed at this
International Sail and Power Association
- ISPA is a non-profit marine organization dedicated to
training. They provide logbooks and manuals for sailing, power boating,
saftey at sea and navigation. They have schools and instructors who provide
instruction in yachting, power boating and learn to sail cruising
Nautical Know How
- A page on boating safety and seamanship.
Boating Safety Notebook
- Information on recreational boating safety.
VIMS Virtual Marine Education Center
- A place where teachers and students can find information and on-line
resources for learning about the marine environment
LIFE - Leadership Initiative for Earch
- A non-profit educational organization based in Vancouver BC. Their main
program, the LIFEboat Flotilla, is an annual expedition for 200
teenagers aboard a fleet of sailing ships and heritage tugs.
Animated Knots for Scouts
- Too cute.
- Sailing related cartoons.
Yacht Research Homepage
- An informal group open to anyone interested in any aspect of yacht
research. Contains a large number of research papers and pointers to related
National Women's Sailing Association
- NWSA is an advocacy and sports organization dedicated to increasing
awareness of sailing among women and opportunities for women to
participate in sailing.
Chicago Women's Sailing Network
- Established in 1994 to assist women sailors in pursing their sailing
avocation in the Chicago area.
- A grassroots networking organization for women in boating.
Ontario Boating Forum
- A non-profit organization in Ontario who's
members are concerned with Boaters rights, safety, and environmental
issues relating to Boating in Ontario.
CompuServe's Sailing Forum
Software possibly useful in sailing
- Hey, We're a high tech sport, right?
Liners and Transatlantics
- Mostly things with motors, but can the Black Ball Line be far behind?
The World Ocean & Cruise Liner Society
- Publishers of Ocean & Cruise News a monthly publication
regarding todays current cruise ships and historical
articles by noted authors such a William Miller regarding
cruise ships & famous liners of yesteryear.
The Canadiana - Home Page
- The Canadiana is a Great Lakes Steam Passenger Ship that was built in
Buffalo NY in 1910. This group is attempting to restore this historic
vessel to sail again as it did in the past.
- The last coal fired seagoing steamtug in Norway.
Restoration the Cutter Mytilene
- Information on the ongoing restoration of this 1936 cruising yacht.
- A Resource for Antique Inboard Marine Engine Enthusiasts.
Serge's Sailing Highway
- Sailing links to the information highway.
BC Sailing Home Page
- Information on sailing in British Columbia, Canada.
Sailing thru Science
- A Global On-Line Adventure Learning Site (tm) opportunity to join a single handed
non-stop voyage aboard Northwest Spirit, a 60' world class sailing yacht via the net in Fall of 1995.
Marine Adventure Sailing Tours
- Alaskan Wilderness Sailing Adventures
Maritime Information Systems
- The US Maritime Information System/Todd & Associates Homepage lists CD-ROM
product information for United States Coast Guard data, which has been put
in a Windows based CD-ROM. The data includes Merchant Vessels of the US,
Manufacturer's Identification Codes (MIC), 15 years of USCG Boating
Accident Reports, and 20 years of USCG Recall and Defect Notices. The
Todd & Associates,Inc. Stolen Boats with Rewards, lists current stolen
boats with rewards offered by insurance companies, including photos.
Fred Siegel's U. S. Coast Guard Retiree I-Net Locator Service
Jim's Sailing Page
- Information about Jim Schmit's boat, and sailing in Hawaii.
Bruce Rosen / South Bay Simulations, Inc.
- SPLASH - Free-surface flow simulations
- Site of Rob Scanlan, CMS/AMS NAVTECH/U.S. Master Marine Surveyor.
Cedric Savineau's SPEED Sailing Page
- Smokin'! Images and info on some the fast sailing speedsters.
Portsmouth Ratings for Popular Sloop Rigged One-designs
ABL Ship Models
- Contains the Fernhurst Nautical
Books (UK) catalog (including
color GIFS of each cover, table of contents, and excerpts), Whitbread 30 class, Banks Sails, Haarstick Sailmakers, a Watersports
Resource locator, Vanguard Racing sailboats,and info on two US
organizations, NSRI and WIA.
Research Ship Information and Cruise Schedules
- Cruise Schedules, Ship Characteristics and links to other information
about research vessels from the Ocean Information Center at University of Delaware
Research vessel S/Y Oceania Page
- Polish oceanographic sailing research vessel.
Freighter World Cruises
The Internet Guide to Freighter Travel
Boating Publishers' Marine Network
- The Marine Network is a series of marine publisher's data bases
which contain boats for sale, marine services and products, waterfront
properties and news. The Marine Network files are arranged regionally to allow
users to search for or sell
any boat, and locate any needed product or service close to home.
YachtNet Home Page
- Contains the Intersail Journal and information on Yachts, Brokerage,
Charters, Marine Store, Classifieds,and Sailing Clubs as well as other item.
- Sailing information from Video On Line
- Sailing Instruction and chartering.
- German Multihull site.
- C-Tech Home page
- C-Tech offers boating software and accessories.
PWM's Boat Page
- Peter W. Meek's sailing page. Excellent coverage of the St. Clair flats.
Thames Barge - Marie May
- Restoration efforts on this Thames Barge.
Neal Petersen's home page
- Report on his 1994 BOC attempt and plans for the next BOC.
Sailing Yacht Canada Restoration Project
- Chronicle of the efforts to restore this vessel.
The Virtual Loft
- Seattle HarborCam and recent pictures of tall ships, tug boats,
cargo ships and other cool stuff on the Puget Sound. Also, a tribute to
B.J. Best's high-quality sailing page
- Informaton on Scows, the Inland Lake Yachting Association,
Cedar Lake Yacht Club and more.
Torresen Marine, Inc.
- Sailing information from Muskegon, Michigan including information on their
repair and maintenance facility, and ship store, plus info on their Great Lakes
On Line System with info for Great Lakes sailors.
- Sailboats and accessories in the Cincinnati, Ohio area
Svendsen's Boat Works and Chandlery
- Svendsen's has been serving sailors in the San Francisco Bay area for
over 30 years. They have a chandlery, rigging shop, boatyard and
Lunenburg Industrial Foundry and Engineering (LIFE)
- Since 1891 Lunenburg Industrial Foundry and Engineering (LIFE) has
been providing a wide range of products and services to both domestic
and foreign markets. Lunnenburg, Nova Scotia, Canada
Wind Surfing Home Page
- Pictures, and a great movie (.3 Mb)!
The Eighth Sea
- The Eighth Sea is your safe haven on the the information sea...a place to
find sailing directions for the Web. The Eighth Sea is a regional webzine,
focused on the Northern Gulf coast.
Cap'n Mark Wheeler's Virtual Riverboat
- Yes, I feel disloyal since steam drove an iron spike through the heart of
West Coast Tugs
- West Coast of North America.
Commander Bob's Boating Safety Notebook
- Useful information on boating safety.
Aladdin Sailing Index
- Useful collection of British sailing topics including pages for a number
of sailing organizations: RYA, RORC, and more.
Dataplace Yachting and Sailing Index
- Sailing information from The Netherlands
- S.A.International Boating Services - STEERAGE - is a
National and International shopfront and information service
designed to service every aspect of the south african and international
boating and watersports industry.
Viking Voyage 1000
- Knarr trip from Greenland to Newfoundland.
First International Conference on Maritime Terminology
- The 1998 Conference is intended to provide a forum for scholars,
experts and professionals to present their views and exchange ideas
on a shared interest.
300th anniversary of the Russian Navy
- Events during summer and Fall of 1996.
- Weymouth - England - 9 Sept 1995
1996 Olympics - Yachting
- Atlanta (actually - Wassaw Sound, Savannah, Georgia). A nice
summary was put
together by Hal Wadleigh. Also excerpts from the book
1996 (search for sailing on that page).
Newfoundland Flotilla '97
- In May 1997, the Matthew sets sail from Bristol, England bound
for Newfoundland to star in the provinces' John Cabot 500 celebrations.
Newfoundland Flotilla '97 has been formed, by a non-profit group of local
yachtsmen who sail Lake Ontario, to sail down the St.
Lawrence to Newfoundland meet the Matthew at landfall and join in the
provinces' celebrations. More Cabot Festivities from the Newfoundland & Labrador Department of Tourism.
2000 Olympics - Yachting
- Yep. It's never too early to be thinking about the 2000 Olympics. Where else would want to be to welcome the
Yahoo!'s list of America's Cup Sites
- Yep. The year 2000 will bring computer crashes, another
America's cup, The Race, but I'll
be following the tallship events. Yep.
- San Francisco Yacht Club, Dawn Riley.
This is one of the U.S. syndicates for the America's Cup..
Ursa Major Challenge 2000
- A Canadian challenger for the year 2000 America's Cup.
America's Cup Jubilee
- If you are just bored with the entire overhyped mess, and are going to
sit it out waiting for the America's Cup Jubilee in August 2001.
updated: Sat Aug 30, 2003
Click on anchor to return to main sailing page
Copyright 1994-2014 Mark Rosenstein.