The skills I acquired as a sailor served me well, for they gave me a
sense of pace which I might not otherwise possess. I see people all
about me who have never developed an adequate inner clock and who are
never at one with the wind because of it. The frantic individual tacks
too soon, jumping from job to job, friendship to friendship, spouse to
spouse, losing headway at every turn. The obtuse individual remains on
the same tack too long, investing too much time, talent, and energy
in a course that takes him far from his avowed objective. But the
seasoned sailor stays on the same tack as long as it appears
advantageous, and then, at the appropriate moment, pushes the tiller
toward the sail and deftly changes direction.
- Richard Bode First you have to row a little boat
(Schools with Maritime History or Maritime Archaeology or maritime related degrees and certificates.
If you have pointers to online info on programs at Oxford, Curtin Univ. or the Institute for Western Maritime Archaeology at Berkeley, please
let me, firstname.lastname@example.org know. See sailing clubs
for online university sailing clubs and
sailing instruction for learn-to-sail
Maritime and Naval Academies
- At least the ones I've found.
Center for Maritime Archaelogy
- Coleraine campus of the University of Ulster, Northern Ireland.
The Centre for Research in
Maritime Archaeology and History
- Under University of Bristol, Department of Archaeology. See also their
Centre For Maritime & Regional History
- CMRH is sponsored by Fiskeri- og Søxfartsmuseet, Esbjerg and the
University of Aarhus as a research centre and postgraduate course in
maritime and regional history.
East Carolina University - Program in Maritime Studies
- Masters program in Maritime History and Archaeology. Greenville, North
Maritime Studies at The Evergreen State College
- Undergraduate program. Olympia, Washington.
University of Exeter
- MA and Ph.D. programme from the Centre for Maritime Historical Studies.
- Maritime Archaeology program. Adelaide, Australia.
Florida State University
- Program in Underwater Archaeology. Tallahassee, Florida.
Greenwich Maritime Institute
- The maritime education offered includes postgraduate degrees in
Maritime History, Maritime Policy and Maritime Management and an
Mphil/PhD in Maritime Studies. At the University of Greenwich, London, England.
History Dept at Memorial University Of Newfoundland, Canada
- The department and the Maritime Studies Research Unit are internationally
esteemed in the area of maritime history: the history of seaborne commerce,
shipping and international fisheries. The department has considerable
experience in the application of statistical analysis to massive data sets.
Since 1989, the International Journal of Maritime History has been
published at Memorial. Maritime history is one of the fields in which
the department offers a PhD degree. The University also has the
Marine Institute which
offers degrees in Maritime Studies and nondegree courses.
MIT Ocean Engineering
- The Pratt School of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, was
established through a bequest to MIT in 1912, and the name was changed
to encompass a broader focus about 20 years ago. Also known as Course 13.
Frank C. Munson Institute
- A summer graduate-level program consisting of courses in American
Maritime History is offered at Mystic Seaport
through the Munson Institute. I have documented my
experiences in this program in 1995, and in summary, it was one of
the most worthwhile courses of studies in my career. Be warned that it is
a lot of work!
NYU Gallatin School of Individualized Study
- It was through this program that I received my M.A. in U.S. Maritime
Scottish Institute Of Maritime Studies
- Established within the University of St Andrews to further
interdisciplinary teaching and research into the archaeology, ethnology,
and history of humankind's relationship with the sea
Scripps Institution of Oceanography
- A totally cool place to learn the physical sciences view of the media we
sail through, but I actually only included it here, because when
I grow up, it'd be a fun place to dream about teaching maritime history there.
Sea Education Association
- Offers academic programs in ocean studies combining
onshore classes in marine science and maritime studies with an offshore
sailing and research experience.
Texas A&M Nautical Archaeology Program
Texas A&M Galveston
- Undergraduate Maritimee Studies major.
University College London
- MA in Maritime Archaeology at the Institute of Archaeology.
University of New
Orleans School of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
- Webb Institute is fully accredited, and offers an undergraduate
Bachelor of Science degree in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering.
Williams - Mystic Maritime Studies
- An undergraduate program offering undergraduate courses in
literature of the sea, marine policy, maritime history, oceanography and
Boston University Explorations in Learning Program
- Short courses, often with maritime related theme.
University of Delaware Graduate College of Marine Studies
- A bunch of good stuff including an interactive database
of research information covering all
aspects of marine studies. Includes WOCE (World Oceanic
Circulation Experiment) information and program information,
research ship schedules and information, a Who's Who of e-mail and
mailing addresses for oceanic studies. Information about data from a
academic institutions based on research studies are also available.
Inland Seas Education Association
- Inland Seas Education Association (ISEA) is a non-profit organization
whose mission is to provide a floating classroom where people of all
ages can gain first-hand training and experience in the Great Lakes
- Utilizing the City of Elliot Lake a fully restored Montague whaler,
provides training cruises, crewed by members of Elliot Lake's sea cadet
corps: Captain Kidd.
Youth Maritime Training Association
- The Youth Maritime Training Association was formed to promote the
preparation of young people from all backgrounds for a career in the
maritime industry. They work with Washington State schools in grade levels
Maritime and Naval Academies
- At least the ones I've found.
The National Association of Marine Laboratories
- I actually only put this here, so I could reference
David Remsen's tale of
building a Glouchester Light Dory.
Westlawn Institute Of Marine Technology
- A nationally accredited, internationally recognized distance study school
offering professional courses in yacht design and related marine technology
I'm always open to adding resources to my list, so if you
know of other items, give me a holler: email@example.com
updated: Thur Jul 21, 2005
Click on anchor to return to main sailing page
Copyright 1994-2013 Mark Rosenstein.