Sailing Books, Videos, Bookstores, Publishers, Online Texts, etc
"Now then, Pooh," said Christopher Robin, "Where's your boat?"
"I ought to say," explained Pooh as they walked down to the shore of
the island, "that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a
Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends."
"Depends on what?"
"On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
- Winnie-The-Pooh by A. A. Milne
Books and Videos
John's Nautical Literature Page
- A repository of Joseph McWilliams'
Nautical Non-Fiction Adventure List and John Kohnen's
huge Nautical Fiction List. These great lists provide readings for when you can't be
on the water (or surfing the internet). These are also posted regularly to netnews.
The Arthur Ransome Society Home Page
- Info about the Arthur Ransome Society (author of Swallows and Amazons and other books).
Joshua Slocum Society International
- An international association of sailors and non-sailors of similar
interests in sea history, the Joshua Slocum story, the adventures of small boat
sailors and heroism at sea.
The C.S. Forester Society
- Info about Patrick O'Brian from W.W. Norton with this announcement. [You probably know him as
the biographer of Joseph Banks and some lessor known sailing adventures].
Peter Blake Adventurer
- Part of the Peter Blake site.
- Information on books by Nigel Calder.
Auxiliary Sail Vessel Operations
- by Andy Chase. Yep.
- Cruising Guides by Claiborne S. Young - Covering the Waters of the
The Bent Bulkhead Cartoons for the Sailor by Chris Stoyan
- Liveaboard Cartoonist Chris Stoyan has studied Sailors for Years. Drop
in for a LAUGH!
Ports and Pilots
- Ports and Pilots is a children's video to be broadcast on Public Television,
as part of The Maritime Adventure Series.
Bookstores and Video Sources
The Armchair Sailor - Newport, RI.
- A resource for over 35,000 sea books, videos, software and chart
titles since 1979 --with shipping to both professional and
pleasure mariners all over the world.
Armchair Sailor Seattle
- The Armchair Sailor in Seattle, Washington
Bluewater Books & Charts Online
Boat Books Ltd
- Boat Books Ltd is a specialist nautical bookshop in New Zealand with
books on Boating, New Zealand, Nautical, Marine, Charts, Software,
Cruising, Yachting, Navigation, Travel, Sailing.
Columbia Trading Company
- Deals in new, out-of-print and rare nautical books and artifacts.
Magic Lamp Boating Videos
- Instructional videos on all aspects of Boating, Sailing, Coastal
Piloting, Celestial Navigation, Cruising, Racing and other nautical
The Nautical Mind
- The Nautical Mind is a walk-in nautical bookstore located on Toronto's waterfront since 1980.
Paradise Cay Publications
- Publisher of the adventure books "On The Boulevard Of Galleons"
by Wallace B. Farrell and Sandra Burns, and "Taking
Terrapin Home" by Mathew Wilson. They also publish the "Nautical Almanac,
Commercial Edition", as well as a variety of other titles.
Red Sky at Night
- Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada store that specializes in all things
to do with the sea. The site includes a nautical book catalogue.
- Nautical books and videos for sale. Each book has a book photo
and complete description.
Tall Ships Books
- Specializing in new and used, fiction and nonfiction
nautical books from the Age of Fighting Sail,
WW1 and WW2, and up to present day.
Selection of Educational Sailing Videos
- A source for purchasing some sailing videos.
Atlantis Technical Services
- A Scotland based marine and technical publishing company specialising
in ISM Code, SOLAS and all other types of marine & off-shore technical
and operational documentation.
Fernhurst Nautical Books
- International Marine has been publishing the best books about boats
Seaworthy Publications, Inc.
- A publisher of nautical books located in Wisconsin, mostly known for
their cruising guides and as the new publisher of the classic Hal Roth
titles on circumnavigation.
Online Sailing Texts
Electronic Nautical Books
- Fiction and Non-Fiction Available on the Internet.
- "Two good books a month," is their motto, I believe. [I understand it is now like 16 books a month - life is good!]. They have Melville's
classic Moby Dick online. The opening
lines still resonate with me 140 years later. Avast. Is that the Rachel? No, its the Herman Melville Internet Society. Or you could read the 32 page version (for the young and/or
impatient) adapted and illustrated by Allan Drummond published by Farrar,
Strauss, & Giroux.
Naval Documents from Internet Wiretap
- Looks like various bits from: DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN NAVAL FIGHTING
SHIPS, James L.
Mooney, ed., Naval Historical Center, Department of the Navy
Tales from Jack G. Ganssle
- How can you resist stories with tag lines like: "Go West! The author entered
the 1992 OSTAR - a singlehanded race across the Atlantic - and loses
the boat in mid-ocean. Other than that it was a great trip."
One Woman - One Ocean
- This is the ongoing story of Anne Lise Guy, the Australian Yachtswoman
who sailed solo from Australia, to South Georgia Island, via the Antarctic
Peninsular in 1993/94 in her yacht, Wildflower. This web site will provide an
ongoing plot of her current return course from Cape Town, South Africa, to
Australia from late January to April 1996.
Excerpt from "From Keel to Truck"
- Excerpts from Captain Passch's dictionary in English, French, German,
Italian and Spanish. Used in Marc Van Campenhoudt's Ph.D. thesis.
Sailing the Dream
- the chronicles of SV Querencia, which hailed from Seattle.
Online Books FAQ
and Online Books from CMU
- Here is a more complete pointer to books that are online. If you notice
other sailing related ones, let me know, so I can update my list!
Alan Hartley's maritime reading slips
- Sailing contributions to the Oxford English Dictionary. Outrageous!
International Collision Regulations (Colregs)
- The International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea 1972
as amended, published on the www in a linked hypertext format, by
The Trustees of the Rivers Wye and Lugg Navigation.
I'm always open to adding resources to my list, so if you
know of other items, give me a holler: email@example.com
updated: Sat Feb 16, 2002
Copyright 1994-2014 Mark Rosenstein.